Sunday, July 6, 2008

Safe as houses

The Bible has been hammering me in my morning devotions as I continue reading through the early chapters of Matthew. Jesus taught clear as day “Do not store up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy, and where thieves break in and steal (or world market crashes devalue)” Matt 6:19 (with a little extra).

In the following chapter, Jesus pointed out that the person who heard His teaching but didn’t put it into practice was like a fool who built his house on sand only to have it flattened by the first storm that came along. Yet, to follow and obey His teaching would be like building your house on a rock that could withstand the harshest storm.

Only a fool would put their security in investments that can be lost in a blink rather than the son of God who has the power to determine eternity.

What a short-sighted FOOL I am... willing to sacrifice my soul for the hope of a comfy retirement!

No comments: