Saturday, July 26, 2008

Loving my neighbour

The big move hasn't happened yet but we have found another townhouse with a roof-top (thank you Jesus!). And it is only 3 doors down from our current place.

Being so close is an advantage in many ways (eg I can still walk the kids to school) but there is one disadvantage. The landlord there has been our neighbour for over two years.. and she doesn't particularly like me.

It all probably started months back.. the day I complained to her about the workers that I'd caught stealing our mangoes over the back fence, or maybe it was the day I caught her throwing her rubbish into our back yard. Even though each time I managed to keep my voice steady and calm, it was still what us Aussies would call "a dummy spit". I also discovered that words are particularly difficult to find when angry and trying to speak in a second language. So I didn't just act like a fool (displays of anger are inappropriate here), I sounded like one too.

Now, I continue to struggle with my language when speaking with her about house repairs etc, while she patronisingly tells me she should speak to Steve as his language is much better (grr).

Wounded pride aside, I wondered how this could all happen. In Australia, I rarely ever clash with people but in Cambodia there are times when I can't help but rub people the wrong way (while often being rubbed myself).

Sadly, I realise that my problem is with my heart - I'm a player. In Australia, I have learnt over many years how to play the games of communication but in Cambodia the rules of relationship are entirely different and will take many more years to learn. For example, "sweet talkers" are treated with mistrust, while "straight talkers" are just downright offensive.

Loving my landlord or neighbour today means that I actually need to love them with a love that will cover over a multitude of cross-cultural blunders, miscommunications and offenses. And to do that, I need Jesus.

4 comments:

rasita said...

Have you thought about gifting her? Something small, and it could be as simple as an everyday item. We have just taken over a bread run here is Aus and have been giving it out to families in our street. This has served us well because when one of our neighbours spoke ill of us to another neighbour, it did little to no damage.
We are not buying them, we are just proving to be different.
Possibly you could do something similar to your land lord/lady, if you think that is acceptable.

Anonymous said...

honest - i like the way you wear your heart on your sleeve lisa - we will keep praying for you

Lisa said...

Thanks for your thoughts, Rasita. Sounds like a good idea... I just don't like her and everything within me rebels against giving her any more than an already inflated rental price that we will be paying. Yep, I need some heart surgery...

Lisa said...

Thanks Tim. We always value your prayers.