Thursday, July 17, 2008

My child, give me your heart

Since Princess turned 5 years old last month I’ve had this throbbing thought like an infected thumb. “It’s too late. She’s 5. It’s all over.”

Child development experts advise that much of a child’s character is formed over the first 5 years. So, my aim has been to somehow train each of my children for life by their 5th birthday.

But this past year has been huge with a new baby and settling back into life in Cambodia. My focus has slipped and now she is suddenly 5 full of ideas for mischief and fun.

She climbs the back fence to pick unripe fruit, sits on a papaya to make her brother laugh, tells naughty “bottom” jokes (also for laughs), teases her brothers mercilessly and loves nothing more than to dance in the rain or make up beautiful songs. She is a regular Maria von Trapp, while I play the part of the exasperated Mother Superior!

But, only three months ago my Mother came to Cambodia for a much anticipated visit. She had made some lifestyle changes and looked more youthful, healthy and alive than she has for years. (At 60, she was even able to demonstrate how to use the jump ropes that she had bought for the children).

My Mother has inspired me to eat better and exercise more and I have been feeling all the better for it. Her example was powerful and my response gave me hope for my own daughter. If I can be influenced by my Mother's example at 34, then maybe (just maybe) it is not too late for my beautiful 5 year old Princess.

“My (child), give me your heart and let your eyes keep to my ways”. Proverbs 23:26

Now I just have to be a GOOD example...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Sounds like what you have sown into your daughter's life is the right to be herself...... Outside the knowledge of God, I don't know of a greater gift you can give a child than that. Well done, good and faithful servant! :)