Sunday, February 13, 2011

Enjoying a gurgling head

It's no surprise (but still disappointing) that my quality control job at the cafe fell through. They really need someone there full-time which just wasn't practical. Ruth (the heart and soul of Bloom) asked me if I'd be willing to pass on my metabolism instead. As much as I love her, I might need to pray about that one...

But the good news is that my depression at losing such an ideal job passed quickly. The ideas and opportunities for serving here in Cambodia are just pouring out of my head. Some have been gurgling in there a while (like soap nuts and solar ovens), while others spring from conversations with others (income generation and Board memberships). There are also the long standing projects like fundraising for the school's building program and developing my current language consultant role. Or the far off dream of writing a biography or two on some seriously amazing people working here.

It seems that each new person I meet sparks a conversation that brings new ideas and another night of difficult sleep (is there a recurring theme here?). I was beginning to wonder about my sanity until I spoke with a good friend Pip who has the same dilemma. However, she sees each new idea as an opportunity to develop her strategic thinking skills, so writes up a project proposal and promptly files it, forgotten until the day someone asks, "have you ever thought of...?".

While wondering about the random overflow of exciting ideas, another friend wisely encouraged me to enjoy it. Sooner or later, I will focus and become stuck in a job. For now, I can just enjoy a gurgling head ... and get those project proposals down on paper.

4 comments:

Bonnie Lepelaar said...

Hey Lis, I'm still waiting for you to gurgle out a proposal for greeting cards! Or maybe you can write a book on ideas which need feet...

Linda said...

In April I'm coming to do a stint at Bloom, not intending to take over your job there as taste tester, but I fear that may happen. If so, I'll definitely join you as a running buddy for the first 2.5 kms, unless I can work up to 5 kms by then. In the mean time, blogging is a role that you do well, keeping the rest of us aware of life in PP.

pip said...

Heya-
Good to read! And great to see you in Poipet! : )

Lisa said...

Hey Bonnie. Finally got that to you. Looks like we'll need to consider other options...

Linda!! It will be great to see you. You can have the job.. just save me some samples. The running started this week for the first time... only made it 3kms.

Good to see you too Pip. Catch up next week.