Thursday, February 3, 2011

A perfect fit

I've already mentioned how we are glad to be back in Cambodia.

After five and a half years here, like worn running shoes, we seem to fit here better than ever. The initial stressors of language, culture and climate have lessened with familiarity and growing competence. Dare I even say, we've developed a greater understanding of and empathy for Khmer people - valuing their strengths and recognising within ourselves their foibles.

Maybe a year away has brought fresh perspective and renewed enthusiasm.

Even so, it is a little shocking to think that when our much loved and admired friends, Barry and Fiona, leave at the end of the year, we will become our team's longest serving members.

Are we ready for that mantle?

Steve might be. This week one of the key physios here declared that Steve was "the Mahatma Gandhi of Cambodian Physiotherapy". He has no positional power but everyone looks up to him as "the man".

Me? Well, I'm concerned that they are seriously huge shoes to fill and I'm frankly a bit of a Cinderella.

But I'm pleased to say that it seems that a good friend has found me the "perfect job". It's a role which recognises my extensive experience and fits with my lifelong passion, critical analysis skills, discerning taste and ability to tell it how it is, utilitising my Khmer language skills.

Taste testing cakes at Bloom Cafe in Phnom Penh!!!! Baking starts Monday.

I just need to get into those running shoes before I have a different kind of problem with "fit".

No comments: