Friday, March 11, 2011

The head's still gurling but in the meantime...

One role I've had for a little while already is the Language Facilitator for our team. This means I'm meant to assist the process of language and cultural learning particularly for those new to Cambodia. (You know, point them in the right direction, give them an encouraging pat on the back and let them go for it.)

This week I began my own formal language lessons at the Language Exchange Centre. LEC was started by an entrepreneurial Indonesian lady who realised that there were very few trained language teachers in Cambodia. I've found the teachers there excellent - proactive in preparing lessons and correcting errors.

This morning I received a lot of correction and it was clearly obvious to my teacher that while I can speak quickly (making many people believe I can speak well), I really have a limited vocab. The story I made up about the picture she held was pathetic and my listening comprehension skipped crucial points.

I ended the lesson demoralised. It certainly didn't help that my teacher had begun the lesson raving about Steve's ability in his lesson on Wednesday.

Ah, nothing like a good dose of empathy to make you better at your job.

No comments: