Friday, February 26, 2010

Green and keen!

In my latest efforts to be “green-er”, I have been re-using plastic bags. Washing, rinsing and hanging in the sun to disinfect means that they are as good as new (with the occasional hole). These bags I take with me on every shopping trip – bread bags for fruit and grocery bags for, well, groceries.

My odd ways have caused a few eye-rolls and head shakes from people at the checkout impatient to get home and consume their potato chips (I would be if I was buying them too). However, on Monday one lady at the butcher even dared to giggle. I realised that it was ironic to be re-using plastic bags while purchasing one of the biggest environmental killers, beef, but justified to myself that at least we are eating it only once a week.

However, my indignation soon turned to horror when I realised the reason for her smirk. I had given the mildly-handsome young butcher a plastic bag from the school tuckshop which had my name and phone number written on the outside. It had held the book order I had recently collected and was now being filled with 500g of premium mince.

I am desperately hoping that he and his colleagues hadn’t noticed or at least realise it was an innocent mistake. Otherwise, I’m not sure I can show my red-face there again.

Fortunately, I haven’t had a phone call from him yet...

2 comments:

Unknown said...

OH Lisa.... You obviously dont know what butchers are like. Expect that phone call. How fun to tell him you are happily married with three children :)

Anonymous said...

Hi Lisa,

Sounds like you're having fun creating new ways to be 'green'! Good to hear some of your stories, and I hope you're settling into Oz ok so far :) Let us know if you guys will be in Sydney anytime soon :) Would love to catch up.....is your email the same?

Fiona