Tuesday, February 9, 2010

To be numbered amongst the numbered...

I’ve always wanted to do a triathlon – to wear a race number and counted amongst the “fit”. However, being a TERRIBLE swimmer (completing 50 meters free-style without lapsing into side-stroke was a huge achievement), I never thought it possible.

This weekend, I did it.

It wasn’t quite a full triathlon, but an “enticer” designed to encourage wider participation by the general population. 200 meter swim. 5km bike ride. 2km run. But still, I did it.

A good friend had invited (or was it “conned”) me to try it and since arriving back in Australia we have been meeting twice a week at the local public pool for training, plus a weekly run together. Steve was impressed. He says that me swimming is like a vegetarian eating a steak.

So on that rainy Sunday morning in Caloundra, I thought my expectations weren’t so high. For the swim, I only wanted to “not get rescued and not come last”. So I was stoked when I beat 18 others out of the water.

But I didn’t realise that I had one other expectation ... that I would complete it without having to stop and walk. But having pushed too hard on the bike leg, riding my husband’s over-sized hybrid, I was exhausted by the run. I had to stop and walk three times over the 2kms. I still placed in the top half of the group but I was so disappointed that I stopped and walked.

It gives me something to aim for next time, right? I’m just trying to decide if there will be a next time because I discovered this weekend that, while I love training, I hate racing.

Still, it might be worth it just to pose in a race number again. :)

4 comments:

rasita said...

well done!
My aim in races is to finish. I don't care about coming last (that is my expected placing), I just want to do it.
http://www.coolrunning.com.au/calendar/qld.php?TargetCal=QLD&Months=12
This is a great site to head to to find out about other events through the year.
The next one we are doing is the dirt fest. It has a variety of different events in it, something for everyone!
Well done, you are doing great. Keep it up

OMI said...

hey Lisa - you are a SUPER STAR!!!! Well done! Good on you! I'm so proud of you for FINISHING! Thats the main thing...doesn't matter what happened on the way. You'd laugh my 1st tri was 100m swim 6.5km bike then 1km run...I couldn't swim either & even after 20 mins of 'racing' I got dehydrated & a headache....

I'll let you in a on a secret..i did a half iron man on sunday..will fill you in on details later..but I walked 3 times on the run leg too..there was x3 7km laps with a massive hill & it was almost quicker to walk up than attempt to run!

Anyway i'm soooo stoked for you...you never know..you just might like the next race..

Naomi

Lisa said...

Thanks Jude. I might have one more shot at it at the end of this month.. and then my life ends. Steve is starting at Uni and I take up my role as Pillar of the Family.

Naomi... surely you haven't just done a half ironman after your bad accident!! Surely, someone has hijacked your google account. THanks for the encouragement.

Bonnie Lepelaar said...

Something isn't right when you look skinnier in Aus than in Cambodia!