Sunday, August 30, 2009

The first 50 hours

Over our recent holidays I enjoyed reading Malcolm Gladwell’s latest book, “The Outliers”, where he researches the secrets of the remarkably successful (as opposed to being a success in one’s own mind). While he banished the myth of the self-made man demonstrating the importance of luck and opportunity, he also introduced me to the law of 10,000 hours. Simply stated, work 10,000 hours at something and you will be a master.

The same holidays I also purchased a new camera. My old one had been dropped one too many times and the lens cover could not decide if it was open or closed, preferring the half-awake look. Securing it open with stickytape, I passed the now startled-looking camera onto my enthusiastic children.

Then I spent a week on research. Shying away from the bulky (showy) digital SLR, I finally decided on a compact point-and-shoot used at a back-up camera by professionals. And I love it – to the annoyance of many around me.

This week I wasn’t so well and so had an opportunity to begin reading through the manual in earnest. From the sick-bed, I began exploring the world of ISO, auto exposure and shutter speeds. I have discovered that it will be some time before I am able to choose better than the automatic mode / pre-set scene suggestions.

I’m not sure why but this photo is my favourite from my first 50 hours. Only 9,950 hours to go.

2 comments:

Alan said...

Auto sure beats carrying the manual around with you. I want a camera which automatically remembers to change batteries. Cheers Alan

Omi said...

Geez Lisa - 10,000 hours??? since May I've trained 165 hours for triathlon....i've got a long way to go :-)