Thursday, August 21, 2008

Moving house

Sometimes you just have to trust God that He knows what He’s doing.

Last month when I got the news that we had to move house, I was mildly devastated. I loved our old house. But on the weekend, we moved out with the help of friends and friends of friends.

Once we were all done, one friend commented, “this was the weirdest move ever”. We had moved only three doors down the road to another townhouse at the other end of our block… placing the furniture and boxes in exactly the same places except that it was in the mirror image. After a couple of days of double-takes and disorientation, we have settled in nicely.

Despite my early misgivings, the new house is no hotter than our previous place and the landlord has only been mildly patronising to me. The bathrooms are pretty gross, but a bit of Draino did wonders for clearing out the smells (but the worms continue getting in somehow).

In fact, I have found some great benefits to the new house. The extra floor on top means that our home is mildly cooler as well as providing room for guests (we already had our first visitor last night!). The kids have been making fine use of the spare block next door, climbing trees and getting very very muddy. They are loving the new freedom of a yard.

I would never have moved from my old place, and I was even willing to stay when I found out the day before the big move that the landlord had changed her mind and wanted to sell the place or rent it again.

But God had something better in store for us and I am thankful that He knew how to get me “moving”.



Home..

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

hEY lisa - thats cool. IT would be weird moving into a mirror image house though! I've been up on camp in remote SA in the mining town this week....Interesting!

Thanks for your blog
Naomi

Lisa said...

Thanks Omi. Maybe you should start a blog too! I'd love to hear about it.