Thursday, June 26, 2008

A slice of heaven

I know many people from “home” pity us cross-cultural workers (I do too sometimes). But our recent holiday is surely a cause for jealousy.

No, we did not visit Disneyland or trek in the Himalayas. It was even better.

Introducing "The Juniper Tree".

Located in lush, sub-tropical Chiang Mai, the Juniper Tree is a retreat centre for Christian workers needing rest and recovery. (For a "donation", you get 3 meals a day, laundry, library, swimming pool, TV/DVD, playgrounds etc)

Apart from eating way too much, I also devoured biographies, fiction, books on mission and children’s education as well as fulfilling the daily quota of children’s stories (for the kids, not me.. really!). Ahhh… Heaven.

But the real treasure is the people you meet there. Most we won’t ever meet again until we really do get to heaven, but somehow we made friends that I hope last a lifetime.

No comments: