Monday, May 19, 2008

zzzz...

insomnia (in-som-ni-a) the art of keeping the mind active and alert throughout the early hours of the morning even when sleep is desperately desired

I don’t mean to brag but I’m quite skilled in this art. In fact, it comes quite easily for me.

Although loaded with natural talent, I’m not quite a master at it yet. I am far too undisciplined to stay awake all night and so employ various techniques to enable sleep.

Forget warm milk and massage (these require too much effort and a potential exchange of services). Lying perfectly still until sleep comes is virtually impossible and pretending to play dead in a movie only sends me off wondering how I died.

No, I prefer to pretend I’m the only person on a fully loaded plane who has a perfectly comfy place to lie down while I watch the nonsensical black and white pictures playing on the inside of my eye-lids. A few (sometimes more than a few) slow deep breaths and I’m gone…

Sounds simple, but the tickets aren't cheap. About 2 hours of mind work (on anything from solving world poverty to working out how to survive motherhood) is required before I am allowed on the plane to Sleep-topia.

I don’t mind really (not much..). I’ve had some of my best ideas while staring at the plastic flouro stars on the ceiling. But don't ask me to name any as my brain is a little hazy at the moment...

Besides, it is a great time to make up whimsical, totally irrelevant blog entries.

No comments: