Friday, May 16, 2008

Mirror, mirror...

Every time I write a blog entry, within days, hours and even minutes, I am shown to be a hypocrite. Since writing my blog, I have yelled at fellow motorists (Oct 07), run off to the new shopping mall during a power-cut (Apr 08) and just didn’t take a quiet time for days or weeks (Feb 08).

Slowly, I am discovering that my blog is a kind of mirror. It shows me my true self amongst all my lofty ideals. And it’s often not pretty.

It happened again last week, when I caught yet another labourer from next door’s building site helping himself to our fruit trees.

It’s not that I even like the fruit that he was hoping to snack on (nor can I ever remember its name). I had just had enough of their “pick as you please” activities, particularly from our now-bare mango trees. I had caught a couple of them but my cross words had little effect which made me even madder!

So last week, when I saw a young man jump the fence, I pounced. “What are you doing?”

“Can I pick some fruit?” I was taken aback that he actually asked.

“Um, er. Sure. Just pick me some too.” And I went to get two bags, pleased with my clever plan.

Unfortunately, the tree was almost empty so he dutifully filled my bag (eating a couple in the process) and left it on my wall while his own bag hung empty on a branch.

Realising he was a good kid after all, I raced out and told him to take the bag. He refused and jumped over the wall… in shame and without any fruit.

I was left with a bag of fruit I don’t like and a strange feeling that I had somehow yet again got it all wrong.

It’s not like I didn’t have any warning – lately I have been stuck in Amos with his prophesies against those who oppress the poor and crush the needy. (I particularly like chapter 4 verse 1 where he calls the women “cows”).

It’s just that I’m not so good at listening above my bovine demands for respect of property rights. It seems that I would rather crush the dignity of an under-paid hungry youth than share fruit that is inedible to me. (The societal mindset "it's only wrong if you get caught" meant that it was my actions that made him a thief.)

Again, my handy blog mirror also shows me that while I may be concerned for the poor in the current economic / food crisis, I’m having trouble actually living it. Forgive me, Lord.

2 comments:

gretchen said...

lisa... love your honesty and transparency...thanks for sharing this great story... I don't know if it's good or bad, but I can relate...may we both be forgiven! thanks again for sharing, love gretchen

Lisa said...

Thanks Gretchen. Have been following your blog too and really appreciate your sharing. May you follow Him!!! Love, Lisa