Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Some sad Goodbyes

Today, I said goodbye to two friends who both make me laugh a lot… what a sad day!

The Aussie friend was just visiting for a week but it was really enjoyable to just hang and chat. The best part was being reminded that there are like-minded people in Australia.

My young Danish friend is heading home soon with her husband and one and a half children. She is a wonderfully wacky young woman who can find a reason to smile in the face of almost any circumstance. (She taught me how to say “wuss” in Danish while working out at the gym).

She tells me that she is experiencing that odd mix of “looking forward” and sadness at leaving. Her husband (a project director) commented that one of the things he was looking forward to was just having a normal job and joking around at work.

Life does get very intense here. Not only is the environment different and challenging, but cross-cultural workers also take on roles such as trainers / educators, mentors, directors, ambassadors, learners, hosts, role models, tour guides, marketers, financial managers and guest speakers (who may or may not wash the dishes).

We take each of these roles so seriously with a large dose of purpose and urgency… sometimes forgetting how young and silly we still are.

I think that is why I seek out friends who make me laugh. I’m sure going to miss them.

Flyve-kys xxx

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Hey lisa
THinking of you and hoping you're finding some laughs even though you've had to say goodbye :(

Lisa said...

Thanks Kate. No longer blubbering into my breakfast... kinda of getting used to "hellos and goodbyes". Just nice to mark their passing. Hear you are back in Brisvegas!