Thursday, October 4, 2007

You've got to be joking

A running joke in our family is Steve's lack of success in making funny jokes in Khmer. His style is to translate a joke from English into Khmer, but it rarely works. He just gets a blank stare or polite smile (and a groan from me).

Yesterday, he struck gold.

Steve was walking home from school with a trail of four children behind him who were coming over to play. He commented to a road-side mechanic that he was a "father chicken" (a take on the saying "mother hen").

When he related this story to an "aunty" later, Steve tells me that she laughed uncontrollably and then continued to chuckle to herself over the next while. She even told me the story again today and how she had also told it to her daughters. They thought it was hilarious.

Now, I'm a bit concerned that encouraged by his success he's going to try a few more chicken jokes like "why did the chicken cross the road?". (I guess it was to pick up the kids from school.)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Just testing
Pa

Anonymous said...

Looks like I'm going to be Anon. from now on. My other identities don't work. Thanks for your email.
Steve was always known for his sense of humour, if you know what I mean. I'll write more when the urge hits me.
Love to all,
Pa

Lisa said...

Thanks Pa. You dag..

Love, Lisa