Saturday, October 27, 2007

What's so funny?

A friend excitedly told me the other day of how he was able to share openly about Jesus at a meeting of high government officials. After sharing his faith with them, the highest ranked amongst them said "I have only one thing to say.. The poor people all give gifts to the Wat (Buddhist temple). The Christians give to the poor." Then, they all laughed.

My friend was delighted that we are being a great witness of Jesus' love for people, making other religions look foolish. I was a little more skeptical. My limited knowledge of government officials suggests that it is we who they consider fools for spending ourselves on the poor. Steve's thought that perhaps the official was exposing the irony of Christian giving ending up in the Wat.

But the question remains.. why did they laugh? I decided to take this question to the road and ask my Khmer friends. Here are their thoughts on why the officials laughed...

* They were happy.
* They were surprised by what the top official said.
* They didn't understand what the top official said.
* It shows how people can hold onto two religions at once.
* It shows that the Christians are "buying the hearts" of the poor.
* They laughed to encourage the top official (jokes are funnier when told by people of high rank).

One friend helpfully suggested that the only way to know what the official meant by what he said is to ask him directly... and then he probably wouldn't tell you the truth anyhow.

Hmm. How little we know in this culture and how easily our efforts to serve can be misunderstood.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Lisa

how are you going over there? Noah going ok? & Joel & Emma?

I have also heard my Khmer friend who worked at the national assembley say this joke too. Maybe its a standard Khmer Government workers joke? Who knows.

Hope you are going ok.

Naomi

Anonymous said...

Hi Sweetness and light, the man and the little candles,
I've been reluctant to start writing letters etc. because my computer constantly locks up. I called Mike Morgan but unfortunately when it suited him it didn't suit me. His MS is slowly getting worse, so by the end of the day he is too tired to go out again.

What's this macro and micro economics? It's way above me. When my computer is fixed I'll write more. I'm travelling ok. Enjoy Mum. I'll be travelling in the slow lane soon. I'm buying a 1948 model Morris z ute soft top with no soft top. I do hope you are all well. I have been praying for your(plural) health. I'd better go before I lock up again.
Love you all.
Pa. ps can you handle larger emails yet?

Lisa said...

Hey Omi. That is great to know.. I might get Piseth onto it.

The kids are great and enjoying a visit from Grandma. We all are. Nice to have a visit from home.

Bless you, mate.

Lisa

Lisa said...

Hey Poppy,

Sorry to hear about computer problems.. a virus perhaps??

Yeah, we are fine to receive larger emails, but just send personal ones not the forwarding type please.

Hmm, have an drama and must run... a mouse in the house (or rather in Emma's school bag).

Eek!

Lisa