Saturday, October 27, 2007

Some more thoughts...

My friend Pip (see somesaypip.blogspot.com for a great read) has also been thinking a lot about economic development and environmental impact. And she has some good things to share...

Pip notes that trade has many benefits to all nations and within the right structures it can be a powerful tool for development and the ending of poverty. She highlights that trade is not the only cause of environmental degradation and that developing nations often cause major environmental damage due to ignorance or lack of choice. The key is cooperation, accountability and information sharing between countries (pity they have the same problem as me… always misplacing them keys).

It seems that Pip was concerned that my personal response to the issue was over-simplistic. Yes, it was. I meant it as a thought provoker rather than a comprehensive response to the ecological / economic debate. No, I am not for protectionism or economic isolation. I am for taking the issue personally and assessing the environmental impact of my consumption, not assuming that I am entitled to my high standard of living just because “I’m worth it” or “I earned it”. I like to think of it more along the lines of “I am blessed to be a blessing”.

In Cambodia, an estimated 70-80% of the population work in agriculture and yet the nation still imports rice, fruit and veges from neighbouring countries. Within this context, I will continue to swap my Weetbix for locally-grown organic brown rice. It’s just a much better choice all round – even if it is only a small one.

I like Pip’s personal response as a model and example to us all… because she lives it.

“I seek to be empowered to make these issues personal through things such as periodically checking consumption patterns, sharing resources with the poor, living more simply in order to be free from greed, engaging in advocacy as well as enjoying amazing produce from local and international markets.”

Within advocacy, I know she would include prayer… Thanks, mate.

No comments: