Monday, September 24, 2007

Sisters

All day breakfast. Now that’s my kind of restaurant. Pancakes. Crepes. Scrambled eggs and bacon. Any time of day. Mmmm, heaven. And it is affordable too.

We went there to celebrate our two eldest children filling their garden-style reward chart with laminated flowers, bees, caterpillars and butterflies. It took two whole weeks and a lot of encouragement, but we’d finally made it.

So, tonight we were off to a restaurant that we often drive by as it is close to our house. We managed to arrive soon after 5pm before it’s 6pm closing time (no one seems to want omelets after dark).

While we were ordering, the owner made a passing comment and my ears pricked up. “You are a Christian then?”, I asked her.

She beamed. “Yes. Of course. Since I was 12.”

I almost screamed with delight. (I can be a bit excitable sometimes but it is always wonderful to find a sister – particularly this far from home).

She quickly summarised her life story. An orphan, supported by some foreigners, she started a business at the beach town of Kampong Som. Two years ago, she moved to this prime location right next to a busy market.

While we were eating, she introduced her husband to us, who had just arrived home from work. Others also continued to file through the small restaurant to the back rooms where they all lived. It must be a full house.

We continued to chat as we ordered desert as well. I asked her how business was going. Sometimes busy. Sometimes quiet. The hottest months are always the slowest (I guess it’s because she doesn’t have aircon) which makes it a little hard to pay the rent.

I commented on how affordable the food is… she smiled. “Yes. Some restaurants charge very high prices for this kind of food. But I don’t want to make too much money. I don’t want to make too little money either. Just enough for me and my family.”

Now that's someone I am proud to call a sister...

6 comments:

pip said...

Yeah- I really like this place too...
Used to go there sometimes when I was studying at KSL & enjoyed chatting with the owners.
It was the place we interviewed one of our staff for Big Brothers and Sisters too. We got the pancakes. He got the job. Win-Win.

Lisa said...

Very brave Pip. I'm sure I wouldn't be able to interview anyone so well in such a place. I'd be so happy wolfing down a waffle that I'd hire anyone! %)

purple starfish said...

enough?
what is that?
isn't there always more to be got?
more to strive for?
more success to achieve?
more status?
and then we have to plan for when we are old ... and what about setting aside some for our children and grandchildren?
enough ...
how good it would be to understand what that is ...
and how the whole world might benefit!!!

DnA

Lisa said...

thought you'd appreciate that one, purple starfish...

Anonymous said...

Geez - that one's a bit of a tear jerker lisa...I also have very fond memories of that place...Those girls were so lovely!

I often had 'Lunch' ther - being toast & egg with lots of salt - on days when I worked at project future/sunshine centre!

So cheap - so quick!

Ok I will wipe my tears have a drink of tea & get back to my world of tax!

Lisa said...

missing a few things about Cambodia, hey Omi? yeah there are some quality people here... but no need to miss it next week.. we are having the board meetings! keep shining..