Monday, October 27, 2008

Prove it.

Last week I began formal language learning again after almost a total break of two years. The hormones of pregnancy and breastfeeding had rendered my brain useless as a memory storage device (designed that way to ensure mothers forget anything other than the good and thereby agree have more than just one child) and an emotion regulator (surely a design flaw as a result of the fall). But I digress.

There were two surprises for me after my first week of 3 x 1½ hour lessons. First was the speed in which I picked up long forgotten words which did wonders for my confidence. The second was a little more disturbing.

My new language teacher was very talkative (I’m not sure if I bring that out in people or if teachers just like to talk). He told me much about himself, his faith, his English school on the side, and his plans to develop another business in order to help other people and share his faith with them.

Two years prior, I would have fallen off the chair with excitement and rushed to blog about it (if I had a blog back then). Last week, I listened politely with smiles of encouragement but my heart was cynical (or perhaps “optimistic with real truth flavour” for the Amazing Race fans). I was shocked and saddened by my response.

Sadly, the faith and finances of foreigners has led to a number of pretend conversions here in Cambodia. Our jobs always pay better (ie fairer) and workers are keen to feed their family by making their employers happy. How could I know whether my new language teacher is any different?

The answer didn’t hit me like a bolt of lightning but it certainly fried up my despair… by the Fruit.

I will continue to watch my teacher. I will also encourage him in his efforts by studying Marketing terms during my lesson to teach him along the way. I may also put him in contact with another person who could help him expand his idea. But I won’t assume his faith is real… I want him to prove it.

And if I’ve learnt anything from my time here, it is that he (like everyone else here) is watching my life also. And they should. Because talk is cheap.

No comments: