Sunday, March 9, 2008

Flowers in the rubbish


I took this photo a couple of weeks back and it has been speaking to me ever since…

Life has been anything but easy lately. Another tummy bug, another cold, and yet another night of interrupted sleep has floored me. My mantra of “this too shall pass” is wearing as thin as I am. My awe of mothers with more than 3 children is sky high!

But like my Princess, I wanted to find the flowers amongst the rubbish. I needed to.

So, I endeavoured to list 10 things to be thankful for… my mum (of course), my husband, kids, various friends who had noticed my struggles and responded with such care, music, the latest Survivor episodes, a book on baby sleep. However, I soon found that my list could not contain all of the things I was thankful for… my sis, unexpected gifts in the mail, a note of encouragement, a friend who makes me laugh (a lot), people who pray daily for us, my pa, pizza, a wise voice.

I was struck by two things. One, I am not alone on this journey. And two (sheepishly), I was no longer looking for flowers amongst the roadside rubbish. I was actually looking at a flower bed but had been staring at some litter that could blow away tomorrow.

Forgive me, Lord.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Kids see things we adults miss. Don't be in a hurry to grow up in that sense. There IS beauty all around. Lord open our eyes.
Pa