Wednesday, December 5, 2007

Happily odd

My friend gave me a great compliment the other day.

We were running some errands in my car, when I began having trouble seeing through the dust covering the windscreen as the afternoon sun dropped in the sky. (My car is constantly dusty, even after a wash it’s only a matter of hours before it again looks like a red matchbox car that’s been lost in the garden for months.)

So while I waited for her to collect a box of veges, I hopped out grabbing the green and pink feather duster which was fortuitously hidden between the seat and the door. I gave the windscreen a good rub and then moved to the rest of the car, rearranging the dust as best I could.

At that moment, my friend returned with her purchases and exclaimed, “You look like an eccentric”. I gripped my feather duster triumphantly while she shook her head at me. I was so pleased by her playful tease. I have lived far too long concerned by what others think.

Being a foreigner here has helped me to start to grow up. I am an outsider, an odd looking stranger who talks funny (and therefore must be stupid) and has bizarre habits (like chewing with my mouth closed). I am hugely different from those around me and so I am not so worried by what people think of me anymore.

However, the litmus test will be when I am able to wear green teddy bear pyjamas to the market like many young Khmer women … without fear of being caught by a foreign friend.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Lisa Good to read another blog. I'm sure you can get your pjs out soon enough! No worries.

Maaike said...

Love this confidence and self awareness! What a freind you must have too! Looking forward to seeing your ever increasing eccentric moments Lisa! Call me when you go out in the PJ's so I can hide in a corner and catch the moment!

pip said...

Hey mate-
Love reading your blog! (Do you really chew with your mouth closed?!) Hee hee : )

Lisa said...

Yes. Yes. I will be certain to take a photo of the event to prove it.

But, you're probably right Pip. Talking while eating could not be classified as chewing with my mouth closed...

Anonymous said...

We all love our PJs....many of my "friends" spend all day Saturday and SUnday in theirs...the true test of your confidence may not be to wear your PJs to the market but to drop your kids at school when back in Aus next time...Oh by the way will be happy to be the teacher who welcomes you in morning :-)

Lisa said...

Lis, if that is all it took to get you to teach my kids, I would do it! Hope you're enjoying your "break" in policy. Love, Lisa