Saturday, January 16, 2010

Surviving a double life.

Living in Cambodia and Australia, I have two lives. As I leave a country, I seem to pack away that life amongst the books and paints and toys we hope to return to one day. Not only that, I leave behind my friends and their lives and love. I am terrible at communicating across the countries despite the ease of email and skype. It’s like my head and heart is too full with life around me that I just can’t make the jump to really connect.

But then returning to our house in Australia means that I need to rummage through the stuff for my former life here and when found, dust it off and try it on for size (hoping desperately that it still fits with a couple of alterations). I am fortunate to have friends and family that are happy to pick up where we left off. Perhaps they too have trouble connecting across the sea.

To date, one of my main forms of connecting with friends in Australia has been my blog. Now, I am here again, I think a fundamental shift is needed. I will now also be writing to my friends in Cambodia who will be undoubtedly neglected while I am away. They’ve been warned, but I’m not sure if they believe it.

My motto? One life at a time..

5 comments:

Alan said...

Welcome to your other home. Praying for God's blessing as you have such a radical change - unlike us who may lead 2 different lives - day and night, work and home etc - but not for several years with an international change as well.

Lisa said...

Thanks Alan. We are settling in... and look forward to catching up with supporters next month.

Maaike said...

Leese you are SUCH an awesome writer! I love reading your blog. Thanks so much for sharing! Love Me

Lisa said...

Thanks Maaike. I wish you'd start yours again. BTW I'm making a mushroom frittata tonight.. just in case you were wondering.

Bonnie Lepelaar said...

Lisa, I just discovered your blog today (via your email!) so I'll try to remember to look it up occasionally to find out what you're up to - I've really caught up now! I'm not a natural chatterbox so blogging doesn't work for me...even the Sunshine one has just ended up being a series of newsletters!