Monday, July 6, 2009

One for the Mums

I wrote this one over two and a half years ago, before I had a blog (with a self-imposed word limit) and before Mr Happy was born. I stumbled on it again recently and thought I would post it. The land issue is particularly timely as I go to the Aussie Embassy tomorrow to speak to them about land evictions (something this "at-home" Mum can do). Any prayers appreciated...

+++

As an at home Mum with two children, I have been asked by other Mothers in Australia "what difference is there between me and you?" In essence, there is little difference. I am a Mum, who wants to reach out to others with the love of Jesus in whatever situations I can.

It's the context that is vastly different. I am trying to be a friend cross-culturally in a language I am still learning (although I pretty good at chatting). I am raising my children in a challenging living environment and must teach them how to live across two (even three) worlds. But most of all, it is the people that are uniquely different. Each woman here has a remarkable story of traying to make a life for herself and her family.

Take my friend, Bun. I have known her for about five years from when we first visited Cambodia. She was newly married then. Now, she has two children but six months ago lost her husband to cancer.

I have listened to her heartache and cried with her many times through the pain of loss, uncertainty and loneliness. I have prayed with her and try to encourage her, but most of all I just try to listen and be a friend.

Today, her loss was raw and while my two munchkins raced around making their own games, I listened again. And we cried.

For Christmas, she and her children went to visit the beach with her former boss who was visiting the country. She had been nervous, but was determined that her kids get their first glimpse of the ocean. They had loved it! Also, the sea air was a tonic for her youngest who had been plagued by ill-health for many months.

While there she also visited some of her husband's friends with whom he had bought some land when they were first married. However, they didn't have good news for her. The land purchased by her husband had been stolen by a powerful businessman to further his business interests in the area (palm oil). It's a common story in Cambodia - the rich steal from the poor and then pay off the authorities. Any attempts by communities and activists to secure justice are blocked by the courts. Some even receive death threats of the non-idle kind.

For my friend, the 15 hectares are not as important as the fact that another link to her husband was cruelly severed. Before he even fell sick, he had tried to provide for his family's future, but it was stolen away. And that hurts her deeply.

My friend is fortunate that her former bosses sponsor her children to attend school. She continues to work to pay her day-to-day bills. Her own family and her husband's family also love her deeply and try to support her as best they can. But in her culture, tears are a sign of weakness and so often she is alone in her pain. So, I am a friend who can do little but listen and cry with her, together we are weak, but I pray that our times together will strengthen her.

I know they strengthen me. They strengthen my resolve to learn language, to pray, to be a light and friend to my fellow Mums.

No comments: