Friday, May 22, 2009

They're the people that you meet...

A while ago now, I worked up the guts to take my camera out onto my street. No, I’m not afraid of thieves, I just hate doing the “tourist thing” with my neighbours. But I realise that most of you will never get a chance to come and see this place so I shyly asked each of the people along my way to school to pose for a photo that I could send to my “brothers and sisters in Australia”. They too were quite shy but gave me some brilliant smiles. ... They were particularly pleased when I gave them each a copy of the best photos.

Introducing… the guy waiting to cook noodle lunches for the volleyball players on our corner.


The lady selling sesame flavoured waffles for 200riel (5cents) each

The motodop drivers waiting at the t-intersection for morning clients (my brother danced cheek to cheek with the one on the far left).


The convenience store where I get my phone cards and small packets of milo for fussy visitors.


Breakfast is served by the lady who's daughter managed to marry "up" so that she no longer sells breakfast out the front of her place. (I went to the Wedding and the daughter didn't seem so pleased...).

Tyre pumps and repairs (with an extra charge for the unsuspecting foreigners).


Our Wednesday afternoon treat… deep fried bananas cooked over a charcoal fire. (love the smile)


With plenty of other snacks... equally unhealthy.

Although the walk to school is barely 150 meters, it can sometimes take a long time to get there.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing - Alan

The Castles said...

Love your blog Lisa. Fab to share, visually, in your day. Jim was very impressed with waffles for 5c and he 'drooled' when he saw the deep fried bananas. Tonight is the Missionary Dinner at Blakehurst Bapt so, your ears may burn!!! Don't think deep fried bananas are on the menu - shame! God bless, love to all five of you, and our prayers, Jim and Daphne Castle xx

Omi said...

Cool Pics Lisa!!! I'm surprised you got so many western smiles & not the usual khmer no teeth smile!! Good on you!