Saturday, April 11, 2009

Language learning and dishwashing liquid

I love language learning. I know that most people hate it and they think I am mad … but I love that having a chin-wag with my teacher for three hours a week is considered “work”.

My current lessons are actually more productive beyond just learning new words and developing greater cultural understanding. Since taking up study again last year, my language teacher has not only persevered through the marketing text book with me, but he has been inspired to start his own business.

“Green Cleaner” is a dishwashing liquid that he sells in 500ml water bottles with a laser-printed label. Produced on a shoe-string budget, the product doesn’t look much, but he has trained all his salespeople to groom themselves well and speak beautifully to even the rudest customers.

His unique selling point is that it is made in Cambodia and is very successful with the current climate of increased antagonism towards neighbouring countries. Old ladies are patting him on the arm and saying “If I can’t support Cambodian business, who can I support?” So business is growing fast, and he now employs 7 full-time staff and another 15-20 people on the weekends.

Priced at only 1,500 riel (US$0.37), his staff earning 300 riel (US$0.07) with each sale (up to US$80 per month), are making more money than he is… but he is not concerned. He is delighted to be helping out young people in his neighbourhood who have just lost their jobs in garment factories due to the global financial crisis. He is also committed to tithing 10% of his turnover to the local church, despite my protests that tithing off profit is sufficient and will leave more money for re-investing.

My role in this has been so insignificant but I can’t help wondering if my motivation and advice has been more effective than if I had tried to start my own business from one of the many business ideas swimming around my head. My teacher is far more committed, motivated and skilled than I could have ever hoped to find in a business manager because he is investing his own money, energy and ideas in a business that he (not a donor) controls.

He now needs at least US$6,000 to take the business to the next level which includes registering with the Government, buying a tuk-tuk for transport, buying moulds and producing bottles that cannot be copied by others (there is already some con-artist selling identically labelled green-coloured “water” in one market for 1,000riel).

I have no troubles advocating for him as this would be money very well spent.

3 comments:

rasita said...

What a great inspiration you have been to this man. Keep up the good work (just being you)

Lisa said...

No Jude. Seriously, this guy is an inspiration... he's amazing.

Anonymous said...

teach a man to fish eh...