Monday, March 2, 2009

Storm in a lunch box

I haven’t been so well for the last three weeks or so. Nothing serious - just colds, sore throats and a dog bite (the bite wasn’t so much of a problem as was my reaction to the precautionary rabies shots). I’d been pressing on regardless, but this morning it all got on top of me. It was Monday, of course.

The issue was pathetically insignificant - whether to take jelly beans or nuts to the lunch-time birthday party for the Grade 1 teacher’s aide. I demanded the healthy option while everyone wailed for the jelly beans (including my life partner). The whining uproar was too much and I angrily flicked the decision to Steve while fleeing upstairs for my morning quiet time.

I walked and raged, while the tears flowed. I was ready to resign after such mutiny. It took quite a number of laps on the roof-top before I was ready to open the Bible. “What are YOU going to say about this?” I challenged God, opening the Bible at my bookmark.

The title so surprised me that I laughed out loud, snorting through my mucous-filled nose. “Jesus calms the storm”. Squinting my watery eyes, I continued to chuckle as I read the story of the disciples’ panic and Jesus’ authority over the wind and the waves. By the time I reached His question, I too was calmed and ready to hear.

“Where is your faith?” He asked (Luke 8:25).

Indeed. Where is my faith? Do I think I am doing this mothering-job on my own or do I have the God of the wind and waves walking with me? Is it all on my shoulders or is He the one who is carrying us all?

As I stood to walk / pray once more, I wiped away my tears and marvelled at our God who calms storms, gives peace and instils hope in 2 minutes flat. Even for tired and unwell Mummies. Maybe especially so.

And for those of you who are wondering jelly beans or nuts? She took both.

2 comments:

rasita said...

Good compromise

Anonymous said...

Wasn't chocolate considered - for medicinal purposes as well, obviously.