Tuesday, September 2, 2008

New Skills

When coming to Cambodia, I always knew that I would need to learn language and culture. But I never counted on the various new skills or re-training I would encounter.

Tying up mosquito nets. Crossing roads. Eating meals without water. Smiling instead of getting angry. Sitting lady-like, even on a motorbike. Yet, squatting most un-lady-likely if there is no seat on-hand.

I am getting better at all these. But somehow I still have not mastered the skill of flushing the toilet with a scoop.

Unlike most skills, I have not had the chance to observe the techniques used by others but I can certainly hear the “one flush and it’s gone” routine. Only after three, four… up to seven scoops can I re-enter the world, satisfied that no-one will be surprised by any gifts left behind.

It’s certainly not through lack of effort or creativity. I have swished and swashed (clockwise and anti-clockwise). I have plunged and bucketed. I’ve used my left and right hand (forehand and backhand). I’ve tried every technique imaginable to simulate the flush of modern cisterns, with no success.

As I write this, my husband tells me that with the squat toilet I need to flush like throwing a bowling ball in the alley. “Just don’t hit the front pin head on”.

Hmm. With renewed hope, I’m off to practice...

3 comments:

Maaike said...

Oh you are so so so funny lisa! You just might be able to run a course on it eventually ... there must be a need out there!
Love love love it!

Lisa said...

You are a woman of great faith... I fear I will never master it. But if I do, I will be sure to include toilet training on the orientation schedule for new comers.

Anonymous said...

Thats so funny. Maybe being from a farm..not so great facilities in the 80's..I had a lot of practise flushing with a bucket...yeah mum taught me where to aim & pour hard ha ha ha!

Naomi